a FEATURES Superior Replacement for Other 1.2 V References Wide Operating Range: 50 A to 5 mA Low Power: 60 W Total PD at 50 A Low Temperature Coefficient: 10 ppm/؇C max, 0؇C to +70؇C (AD589M) 25 ppm/؇C max, –55؇C to +125؇C (AD589U) Two-Terminal “Zener” Operation Low Output Impedance: 0.6 ⍀ No Frequency Compensation Required Low Cost MIL-STD-883 Compliant Versions Available
The AD589 is a two-terminal, low cost, temperature compensated bandgap voltage reference which provides a fixed 1.23 V output voltage for input currents between 50 µA and 5.0 mA.
Two-Terminal IC 1.2 V Reference AD589 FUNCTIONAL BLOCK DIAGRAMS SOIC (SO-8)
Metal Can (H-02A)
2 3 –V
AD589 TOP VIEW
–V BOTTOM VIEW
1. The AD589 is a two-terminal device which delivers a constant reference voltage for a wide range of input current.
The high stability of the AD589 is primarily dependent upon the matching and thermal tracking of the on-chip components. Analog Devices’ precision bipolar processing and thin-film technology combine to provide excellent performance at low cost.
2. Output impedance of 0.6 Ω and temperature coefficients as low as 10 ppm/°C insure stable output voltage over a wide range of operating conditions.
Additionally, the active circuit produces an output impedance ten times lower than typical low-TC Zener diodes. This feature allows operation with no external components required to maintain full accuracy under changing load conditions.
4. The AD589 will operate with total current as low as 50 µA (60 µW total power dissipation), ideal for battery powered instrument applications.
The AD589 is available in seven versions. The AD589J, K, L and M grades are specified for 0°C to +70°C operation, while the S, T, and U grades are rated for the full –55°C to +125°C temperature range. All grades are available in a metal can (H-02A) package. The AD589J is also available in an 8-pin SOIC package.
3. The AD589 can be operated as a positive or negative reference. “Floating” operation is also possible.
5. The AD589 is an exact replacement for other 1.2 V references, offering superior temperature performance and reduced sensitivity to capacitive loading. 6. The AD589 is available in versions compliant with MILSTD-883. Refer to the Analog Devices Military Products Databook or current AD589/883B data sheet for detailed specifications.
REV. B Information furnished by Analog Devices is believed to be accurate and reliable. However, no responsibility is assumed by Analog Devices for its use, nor for any infringements of patents or other rights of third parties which may result from its use. No license is granted by implication or otherwise under any patent or patent rights of Analog Devices.
One Technology Way, P.O. Box 9106, Norwood, MA 02062-9106, U.S.A. Tel: 617/329-4700 Fax: 617/326-8703