a FEATURES Four Complete Voltage Output DACs Data Register Readback Feature “Reset to Zero” Override Multiplying Operation Double-Buffered Latches Surface Mount and DIP Packages MIL-STD-883 Compliant Versions Available
Monolithic 12-Bit Quad DAC AD664 PIN CONFIGURATIONS 44-Pin Package
APPLICATIONS Automatic Test Equipment Robotics Process Control Disk Drives Instrumentation Avionics PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The AD664 is four complete 12-bit, voltage-output DACs on one monolithic IC chip. Each DAC has a double-buffered input latch structure and a data readback function. All DAC read and write operations occur through a single microprocessor-compatible I/O port.
28-Pin DIP Package
The I/O port accommodates 4-, 8- or 12-bit parallel words allowing simple interfacing with a wide variety of microprocessors. A reset to zero control pin is provided to allow a user to simultaneously reset all DAC outputs to zero, regardless of the contents of the input latch. Any one or all of the DACs may be placed in a transparent mode allowing immediate response by the outputs to the input data. The analog portion of the AD664 consists of four DAC cells, four output amplifiers, a control amplifier and switches. Each DAC cell is an inverting R-2R type. The output current from each DAC is switched to the on-board application resistors and output amplifier. The output range of each DAC cell is programmed through the digital I/O port and may be set to unipolar or bipolar range, with a gain of one or two times the reference voltage. All DACs are operated from a single external reference. The functional completeness of the AD664 results from the combination of Analog Devices’ BiMOS II process, laser-trimmed thin-film resistors and doublevel metal interconnects. PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
1. The AD664 provides four voltage-output DACs on one chip offering the highest density 12-bit D/A function available.
4. The asynchronous RESET control returns all D/A outputs to zero volts. 5. DAC-to-DAC matching performance is specified and tested. 6. Linearity error is specified to be 1/2 LSB at room temperature and 3/4 LSB maximum for the K, B and T grades. 7. DAC performance is guaranteed to be monotonic over the full operating temperature range. 8. Readback buffers have tristate outputs.
2. The output range of each DAC is fully and independently programmable.
9. Multiplying-mode operation allows use with fixed or variable, positive or negative external references.
3. Readback capability allows verification of contents of the internal data registers.
10. The AD664 is available in versions compliant with MILSTD-883. Refer to the Analog Devices Military Products Databook or current AD664/883B data sheet for detailed specifications.
REV. C Information furnished by Analog Devices is believed to be accurate and reliable. However, no responsibility is assumed by Analog Devices for its use, nor for any infringements of patents or other rights of third parties which may result from its use. No license is granted by implication or otherwise under any patent or patent rights of Analog Devices.
One Technology Way, P.O. Box 9106, Norwood, MA 02062-9106, U.S.A. Tel: 617/329-4700 Fax: 617/326-8703